ISEA is the trade association for manufacturers of environmental monitoring and measuring devices for use in the workplace. These include fixed and portable air-sampling monitors, gas detector tubes and sampling pumps, passive dosimeters, and other instruments used in general industry, construction, and emergency response.
ISEA members have a seat at the table when standards are being written that affect their products; they get a first look at changes in standards, they influence the development of new standards, and they are kept informed of developments on standards around the world.ISEA develops and publishes the American National Standards for gas detector tubes and passive monitors, and the Instruments Group is active on other standards committees and panels in the US and around the world. The group has published a Statement on Validation of Operation for Direct Reading Portable Gas Monitors that provides guidance to users on frequency of function testing and calibration.
ISEA gives members a full-time Washington office. They are kept up to date on important developments affecting their companies, and are identified with a respected and responsible organization that is an advocate for worker safety and health.
ISEA members use the association to learn from each other, and work together to improve markets. Information services are tuned to member companies’ needs. For example, the Instruments Group published a Chemical Agent Detection Guide for First Responders, which was circulated widely to fire and emergency services. A use and selection guide to fixed gas detection systems is available on-line for donwnload or viewing.
In addition to bringing companies together in the Instruments Group, ISEA membership is a link to the larger world of safety equipment, both in the U.S. and around the world. Companies receive regular bulletins and reports on standards, government policies and proposals, and market intelligence. They participate in the association’s annual Executive Summit and Fall Meeting, where the industry comes together to share information and insight. Members’ products are listed in the searchable online Buyers Guide, and promoted in the quarterly Protection Update newsletter.
For more than 75 years, ISEA has set the standard for personal safety equipment manufacturers, supporting and promoting the business interests of its member companies, united in the goal of protecting the health and safety of people worldwide.
- Statement on Validation of Operation for Direct Reading Portable Gas Monitors
- Use and Selection Guide to Fixed Gas Detection Systems
American National Standards from ISEA:
- ANSI/ISEA 102-1990 (R2015) – Gas Detector Tubes – Short Term Type for Toxic Gases and Vapors in Working Environments
- ANSI/ISEA 104-1998 (R2015) – Air Sampling Devices – Diffusive Type for Gases and Vapors in Working Environments
ISEA is represented on the following standards committees and panels:
- ANSI Z117 – Confined Spaces
- ANSI Z10 Committee on Occupational Health and Safety Systems
- ANSI Homeland Security Standards Panel
- AIHA Gas & Vapor Detection Systems Committee
- ASTM E54 Committee on Homeland Security Applications
- NFPA Technical Correlating Committee – Fire & Emergency Service Protective Clothing & Equipment
- NFPA Technical Committee on Fire Service Occupational Safety and Health
- NFPA Technical Committee on Gas Hazards